Friday, November 8, 2013

I'm a Liar!

Confession: I am a LIAR.

All week I've been telling my SIL that I'm going to see her play this Saturday night but last night we definitely drove down and saw her on opening night!

I was full of nerves all day, not just because we were surprising her, but because I was full of memories of my own time on the stage.

Confession: I was a theater kid in high school.

I was in three plays, one of which went to a state-wide one act play competition. Good times. But this isn't about me!



The play is called Harry's Hotter at Twilight and I probably already told you about it but I'm excited so I'm telling you again. It's a parody of Harry Potter, Twilight, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Alice in Wonderland and many others. There are so many pop culture references and it's hilarious.

It's a local teen production at the Fine Arts Center in Camden, SC. I know there are students from the Camden Military Academy and Lugoff-Elgin High (my alma mater) and probably others in the area. The first show was great and I know it's only going to get greater as the weekend goes on. It's just $10 to get in, $8 if you're a student, and they could really use more support from the community and beyond.

I mean, we drove an hour and a half to see it and have no regrets.

Confession: The audience sucked.

It was like 60% teenage boys, granted, but they just weren't laughing like they should have been. Maybe they hadn't seen the Twilight movies so that whole chunk of references made no sense to them? Although I'd argue that the Harry Potter & Twilight references were so integral to the play that they were their own story and you really didn't need to be familiar with either franchise to find this funny.

Confession: It was an awesome night.

She was so surprised to see us there after the show and we got to take her out for dinner afterwards. Cor gave her a beautiful bouquet of roses and she told us all about the behind the scenes things that happened that night. Making memories!


5 comments:

Ashley said...

Aw yay! That is so nice that you guys were able to surprise her! How sweet! And this play sounds awesome, tell them to come perform in Maryland! Hehe!

Aubrey S. said...

It's awesome that you surprised her. The play sounds hilarious....I'd like to see it. How long is it playing?

Beth @ Whiskey Tango Hello said...

So cool of ya'll to be there for opening night! :) Love local plays!

Robin said...

It was so sweet of you to surprise her! Sorry we couldn't go.

Carrie Land said...

test

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...